[sbopkg-discuss] Re: source?

[email protected] dchmelik at hipplanet.com
Mon Feb 2 14:13:13 UTC 2009

On Feb 1, 7:47 pm, Chess Griffin <ch... at chessgriffin.com> wrote:
> * Robby Workman <rwork... at slackbuilds.org> [2009-02-01 19:17:44]:
>>>[...]
> > If you open that "binary" up with a text editor, you'll notice that
> > it's actually a script.  There's your source :-)
>
> Yep, like Robby said, sbopkg is simply a shell script.  The tarball
> contains this script, a configuration file, some docs, and two man
> pages.  There is nothing to compile.  In fact, the package I provide
> should work just fine on Slamd64 (notice the 'noarch' in the package
> name).  However, it might be pointless since sbopkg is intended to be
> used with SlackBuilds.org, and SlackBuilds.org does not officially
> support Slamd64.  Still, sbopkg does have the capability to work with a
> custom local non-Slackbuilds.org repository as long as it is set up in a
> similar style to the SlackBuilds.org repo.

I should have realized it was a script (I have seen few that do as
much as compiled programs that are usually larger, and I still think
of .BATs)... it is long for a script; I should learn to code sh like
that.  Some Slamd64 software is recommended to be compiled with
slackbuilds (and maybe a couple modifications;) some are even in the
distro: will sbopkg not compile stuff with it?  The menus usually
work, but often I have seen sbopkg in 'ps ax' output where sbopkg is
usually doing nothing with a dialog program menu showing (which I can
read all of) when it should have already shown in console (though I
have usually done this in KDE konsole with BOINC and lots of stuff
running.)  Maybe I will look closer at the script, though I have less
practice with sh than C....

If slackbuilds does not support Slamd64, then I am curious what native
64-bit distros Slackware developers use... it seems hardware should be
cheaper nowadays.

--David