[sbopkg-discuss] Re: source?

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Mon Feb 2 18:38:44 UTC 2009

* dchmelik at gmail.com <dchmelik at hipplanet.com> [2009-02-02 06:13:13]:

> I should have realized it was a script (I have seen few that do as
> much as compiled programs that are usually larger, and I still think
> of .BATs)... it is long for a script; I should learn to code sh like
> that.  Some Slamd64 software is recommended to be compiled with
> slackbuilds (and maybe a couple modifications;) some are even in the
> distro: will sbopkg not compile stuff with it?

SlackBuilds are shell scripts that compile source into Slackware
packages.  Patrick Volkerding uses SlackBuild scripts to create the
official packages.  If you browse any of the Slackware mirrors
and look in the /source directory, you'll see all the sources and
the accompanying SlackBuild script used by Patrick.

SlackBuilds.org is a community-run site that maintains user-contributed
SlackBuilds for third-party software not included in official Slackware.
Sbopkg is a 'front-end' to SlackBuilds.org.  Sbopkg will perform an
rsync of the SlackBuilds.org repository and then let the user browse
through the local mirror and build/install packages from the SlackBuild
scripts contained in the repo.  Sbopkg will fetch the source, check the
md5sum, and the build or build + install a package from the SlackBuild
script.

> If slackbuilds does not support Slamd64, then I am curious what native
> 64-bit distros Slackware developers use... it seems hardware should be
> cheaper nowadays.

I imagine Fred Emmott (developer of Slamd64) uses SlackBuilds as well to
recompile the official Slamd64 packages (and perhaps some additional
software he packages for his distro.  However, you would have to ask him
or post in the Slamd64 forums/irc chat for details.  And if you have
specific questions about SlackBuilds.org, you may want to post on their
mailing list or visit #slackbuilds on freenode.

Sbopkg only supports SlackBuilds.org, which in turn only supports
official Slackware.

--
Chess Griffin