[sbopkg-users] Status of next sbopkg release

Matthew Fillpot mfilpot at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 04:46:09 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Chess Griffin <chess at chessgriffin.com> wrote:
> Howdy folks-
>
> I thought I'd email the list to let folks know about the status of the next
> sbopkg release.
>
> As some of you may recall, I 'retired' from sbopkg development a few years
> ago and since that time the project had been taken up by my original sbopkg
> co-developers slakmagik and Maurio Giachero.  I believe Mauro stopped using
> Slackware some time back but slakmagik has still been around and posted to
> this list as recently as this past July.  He's done a fantastic job keeping
> sbopkg updated and making releases alongside new Slackware versions.  Thank
> you, Slakmagik!  I've emailed him a couple of times over the last 3-4 months
> about a new sbopkg release but have not gotten a reply.  I'm hoping he'll
> see this post to the list and respond.
>
> As it stands now, the current sbopkg package available on the sbopkg.org
> website (and on the Google Code site) won't work with 14.1 without some
> minor modifications to the configuration files (see below for how to get the
> current sbopkg package working with 14.1).  The source needs to be updated
> and a few minor issues posted in the Google Code issue tracker need to be
> addressed.
>
> So, here are options I'm thinking about (input welcome):
>
> 1.  Staying with the current hosting and release system:  I don't know if I
> still have access to the cardinal server (where sbopkg.org is hosted) to
> update the website when a new package is ready.  I'll also need to figure
> out (or recreate) our release process.  We had scripted some things to
> update the ChangeLog and make the man pages and package it all up in a
> Slackware package and source tarball.  All of this will take some time.
> December is my super-busy time at work plus we have the holidays and all
> that.
>
> 2.  Updating the Google Code svn with the 14.1 changes but not make a
> package: This would be trivial.  I have write access to the SVN repo so I
> can update sbopkg in the source tree so it works with 14.1 and just not
> worry about the updated package.  Let folks pull from SVN in other words.
> I'll probably do this no matter what since it's easy to do.
>
> 3.  Moving the Google Code svn repo over to Github:  Similar to #2.  I've
> slowly gotten accustomed to Git (way behind most of you, I'm sure) and
> perhaps it make sense to consolidate it there.  Part of me thinks that since
> sbopkg is just a shell script and some configuration files, we don't
> necessarily need a Slackware package ready to go, although I'm sure that
> it's easier for new users to install a package than pull from a git repo.
> Still, it's fairly easy to tag a release on github and just let folks grab
> the tarball and manually put stuff in the right place.  If I did this,
> someone could also submit a SlackBuild to SBo to build a package from a
> tagged release.  Github also makes it easy to host a webpage for sbopkg
> [...]

As for your options, option 3 is my preference because it includes a
webpage bugtracker and nearly all required tools. As for having a
prepared package, you could either store it within a repository, share
it via dropbox or many other options that do not require hosting a
domain.

I am currently testing svn2git to see what steps would be required to
convert the googlecode svn repo to a github repo.

--
-Thank You,
-Matthew Fillpot

-Slackware Documentation Project - Staff Editor
- http://docs.slackware.com/wiki:user:mfillpot

-Linux.com - Moderator
- https://www.linux.com/forums/person/198