[sbopkg-users] [Slackbuilds-users] sbopkg and the README/.info files (REQUIRES line)

Matthew Fillpot mfilpot at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 00:56:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Mauro Giachero <mauro.giachero at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm not going to enter the "Slackware vs Dependencies" battle, but I'm
> sorry that there's the impression that "sbopkg developers don't care". Even
> through I'm not actively working on sbopkg I *do* care about users, and I'm
> sure slakmagik and Chess do, too.
> My experience with sbopkg is that adding features is never as easy and
> painless as it seems before starting (taking the maintenance efforts in the
> picture, of course), so I can't really blame slakmagik if he isn't willing
> to develop and/or maintain a feature he thinks shouldn't be there in the
> first place.
>
> Given that it's not a good time for me to work on sbopkg (I have no
> Slackware boxes any more) I'm not going to volunteer, either. However I've
> been able to update the queue repository adding a sbo-14.0 branch with
> queues generated from the REQUIRES directives. Since the process requires
> much less manual intervention, if there's interest I think I'll be also
> able to keep it up to date (where "up to date" means "less than two months
> old" ;-))
>
> Hope this will be good enough for most users. If not, please let me know.
> --
> Mauro Giachero

Thank you to both Slackmagick and Mauro for your responses. I accept that
the goals and development of sbopkg will remain in line with the Slackware
philosophy and that having multiple potential unaffiliated queue file repos
can be beneficial.

Mauro,
Thank you for the updates from the info files. I would like to assist with
the queues, specifically adding the optional dependencies. Could I e-mail
you patches for updates or will you be passing the ownership of the repo to
an active slackware user?

--
-Thank You,
-Matthew Fillpot

-Slackware Documentation Project - Staff Editor
- http://docs.slackware.com/wiki:user:mfillpot

-Linux.com - Moderator
- https://www.linux.com/forums/person/198