[sbopkg-discuss] Re: Sbopkg 0.25.0 released

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Sun Jan 18 18:49:53 UTC 2009

* alkos333 <alkos333 at gmail.com> [2009-01-18 01:01:55]:

> Very nice fixes and additions.  Thank you for your time and effort.  I
> do have a few suggestions and will be more than happy to help
> implementing them if we come to consensus.

Thanks!

> In the queue management dialog, when one of the items is deselected,
> it's removed, which to me is somewhat counter-intuitive.  What if some
> of the dependencies have already been installed and the admin wants to
> deselect them?  I thought that by deselecting an item in the queue,
> the ON flag would be changed to OFF when saved to a file.  I think it
> would be better if one could temporarily deselect items from the queue
> by unchecking them and if they wanted to remove them entirely, they
> could just select <Delete> on the bottom ?  For example, take ardour,
> boost and libgnomecanvas are some of the numerous dependencies for it,
> but I already have them installed.  I added them to the queue because
> I'd like to save a complete queue to the file for the future use, but
> I'd like to exclude certain items the build process because I don't
> want to wait for them to compile.

Well, these are sort of two separate issues -- I can see where you may
want to deselect an item but keep it in the queue, and I'll look into
add that.  However, you can always deselect (which removes) an item
from the queue when building to avoid deps you already have installed.
Using your ardour example, you could create a queue with all the deps
included and save it.  Then, later on, you could load that queue from
the file, then when start the 'process queue' just deselect those
items you already have installed.  You would still have the saved file
for ardour and all its deps for future use.

But, it might be good to keep items in the queue, just turn the dialog
setting from ON to OFF, and then when processing the queue, only
process those items set to ON.

> Also, may I suggest using ADD and SKP keys (just like in Slackware tag
> files) just in case somebody decides to somehow manipulate the saved
> queues to combine tagfiles or something.  Who knows...

Hmm... I'll need to think about this one.  This might be something to
add at some point in the future.

Thanks for the input!

--
Chess Griffin