[sbopkg-users] Installed packages and queue files

Chess Griffin chess.griffin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 15:04:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Pierre Cazenave<pwcazenave at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I've noticed that if I
> use a queue file to build a package and its dependencies, then all the
> packages listed in the queue file will be built, irrespective of whether
> they're already installed. A useful option would be to have sbopkg skip
> building those files that are already installed, thus reducing build times
> considerably. This way, a centrally distributed queue file (like those in
> /var/lib/sbopkg/queues) wouldn't build packages already installed on a
> user's system.

This has come up before.  The only difficulty is that this option
really could not do a simple check of whether the package in the queue
is installed.  To do it right, it would essentially first have to
determine whether a package in the queue is installed and then also
determine whether there is an update to that package.  If the package
passed both checks -- meaning the package is installed and there is no
update -- then conceivably it could be skipped (or the user given the
option to skip).  Overall, this would probably slow down the queue
processing at the outset.  This is not an insurmountable problem, but
still it is something to consider.

I agree that it would be helpful, though.

--
Chess Griffin