[sbopkg-discuss] Re: Sbopkg article on Linux.com

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Thu Oct 2 15:19:11 UTC 2008

Nenad Spirkoski wrote:
>> I'm glad you like the article. I'm expecting the vi lovers to rip me
>> in the comments for using Emacs. :-D
>
> Vi(m) rules! :)
>
> FTA:
> Adding export EDITOR='emacs -nw' to the .bashrc file for the root user
> changed sbopkg's behavior, though I would prefer that the $editor
> variable be set in /etc/sbopkg/sbopkg.conf rather than relying on a
> system-wide set
>
> from ##slackware, no hard feelings (you weren't there, so a little
> "bashing" is normal)
> [17:00] <The-spiki> ... yes, the article about sbopkg is written
> properly... ONE remark only
> [17:00] <The-spiki> _chess_: you may tell that guy that export
> EDITOR=emacs in sbopkg.conf IS working (ofcourse :)
> [17:01] <The-spiki> for some reason he seems to think that it's not
> good for "application" to comply with the default environment (which
> is wrong)
> [17:01] <The-spiki> and he thinks that exporting EDITOR in sbopkg.conf
> ain't gonna work (which is also wrong)
> [17:02] <_chess_> The-spiki: yes, you are correct.  I figure that
> might get hashed out in the comments
> [17:03] <The-spiki> well, i suppose responding to the email he sent to
> the sbo maillist would be the best :) ain't shure he will read the
> comments

I actually don't think anyone was saying that exporting EDITOR in
sbopkg.conf isn't going to work.  I think it was just a question of
whether to have it there in the first place.  Personally, I don't see a
need to add it there since most users set it in .bashrc, /etc/profile or
whatever.  But, it can certainly be added there manually if someone
wants to put it there.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Key:  0x0C7558C3