[sbopkg-discuss] Re: Suggestion: Automatic Rebuild of Installed Packages

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Fri Dec 5 19:49:11 UTC 2008

Chess Griffin wrote:
> Nenad Spirkoski wrote:
>
>> commands such as
>> ls -t /var/log/packages/*SBo | cut -d "/" -f5
>> or
>> ls -t /var/log/packages/ | grep SBo
>>
>> will give you listing of SBo packages sorted by installed time...
>> which may be "good enought" order for building and upgradepkg
>> --install-new
>>
>> Packages that have build deps were installed after their dependencies...
>> Packages that have run time deps only the order isn't important...
>> For packages that made into Slackware 12.2 upgradepkg won't install
>> the SBo version (and such packages will not be in SBo 12.2 repo
>> anyway)
>>

> Interesting thought.  I'll have to test that out.  Can you think of a
> case where this may not work?

Answering myself...

I guess one potential problem could be where a build dep for an
application was later rebuilt and reinstalled by the user _after_ the
application software for which it is a dependency was installed.  Like
maybe for a library version bump.  The output above wouldn't know that,
and would build the application before the dependency.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Key:  0x84F0D7B6