[sbopkg-users] sbopkg hardcoded nice

Mauro Giachero mauro.giachero at gmail.com
Thu May 19 14:48:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 15:11, Joni Martikainen <joni at shade-fx.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Joni,
thank you for your suggestion.

> I was asking on irc channel that why sbopkg run every build process niced
> and someone pointed me to raise discussion on mailing list about this issue.
>
> So is the reason to run everything niced to maintain better responsiveness
> during build process?

Yes.

> I found this thing a bit annoying because if nice is hard coded like it is,
> it is pretty much impossible to make builds be done just nice level 0.
> Sometimes person might want to run build process at normal priority level
> and it is now impossible.
>
> I think that would be better to keep sbopkg priority untouched and allow
> the user set the nice if he feels so. Current behaviour can be reached just
> by running whole sbopkg niced.

Well, this isn't exactly the same thing (I don't want my pc slowed down by a
background build, but I also don't want to have a laggy dialog interface
when I have builds running in the background).

> The best solution could be to make nice value configurable in sbopkg.conf

This is easy to do. Would you be so kind to open an enhancement ticket at
http://code.google.com/p/sbopkg/issues/list so that it doesn't get
forgotten?

Regards,

> Joni