[sbopkg-users] sbopkg slow to start using git repository

B Kirkpatrick bkirkp at gmail.com
Wed May 5 19:58:22 UTC 2010

I have recently installed -current on my laptop. The first external
package I installed was sbopkg. I modified the following lines in my
/etc/sbopkg/sbopkg.conf:

REPO_ROOT=${REPO_ROOT:-/mnt/spock/sbopkg}
QUEUEDIR=${QUEUEDIR:-/mnt/spock/sbopkg/sbopkg-slackware-queues}
SRCDIR=${SRCDIR:-/mnt/spock/sbopkg/src}

I added the file /etc/sbopkg/repos.d/30-SBo-git.repo with:

# Repo Branch Description Tag Tool Link CheckGPG
SBo-git current "Unofficial repository for -current" _SBo git
git://github.com/Ponce/SBo-git.git@current ""

At this point, I started sbopkg for the first time. I always use the
ncurses interface. I immediately selected Utilities, then Repository,
then selected the "current (SBo-git)" repository. I then went back to
the main menu & chose "Sync". The repository was then populated & I was
able to use it. By this time, too, the file /root/.sbopkg.conf comtained:

REPO_NAME=SBo-git
REPO_BRANCH=current

The problem that I am having is that after sbopkg has been closed a
while, then is opened, I get the following:

# sbopkg
Checking out files:  15% (2171/14180)

It then takes several minutes to check out the 14180 files, before it
presents me with the menu. If I switch to the 13.0 (SBo) repository, all
works well, the menu comes up quickly. If, when using the current
repository, I close the program, then open it within a few minutes, the
menu comes up quicker, without the "Checking out files", but not as
quickly as when using the 13.0 repository.

Maybe (ir)relevant: "/mnt/spock/sbopkg" (my REPO_ROOT) is on a server,
which shares the repositories via NFS with several machines.

Is there some way I can speed up the loading of the program?
Regards,
Bill Kirkpatrick
TSquaredF
K5TTF