[sbopkg-users] Installing slackbuilds after reinstall of slackware

Marc Payne marc321 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 21:39:16 UTC 2010

Hello Donald,

I'm merely a user of sbopkg, but I think I can help to clear up one
part of your dilemma:

> I thought that if I installed with sbopkg then I would know
> which pkgs were installed and when there were updates.

Sbopkg knows which "_SBo" packages are installed on your system simply
by parsing the list of all installed packages in /var/log/packages. In
other words, sbopkg doesn't maintain its own separate list or database
of installed SBo packages. This means that you can safely use
installpkg to install everything you placed in /tmp, and the next time
you fire up sbopkg and look at your list of installed SBo packages,
they will be there.

Now, to update your packages, you do need to have a recently synced
local repo. Sbopkg simply compares version numbers contained in the
repo with version numbers of SBo packages in /var/log/packages to
determine if updates are available.

I suppose to sum up: as Chess was hinting, it is perfectly acceptable
to cd to /tmp and run "installpkg *.tgz" ("upgradepkg --install-new
*.tgz" may be better if you happened to install some of them already).

Hope this makes some sense. :-)

Best regards,
Marc