[sbopkg-users] sbopkg-0.30.0alpha1 root privileges

x11r6 at go2.pl x11r6 at go2.pl
Wed Jul 1 11:43:43 UTC 2009

środa, 1 lipca 2009 07:15, Robby Workman <rw at rlworkman.net>:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:08:44 +0200
>
> x11r6 at go2.pl wrote:
> > New sbopkg-0.30.0alpha1 after "sbopkg -r" as user:
> >
> > sbopkg: sbopkg must be run by the root user.  Exiting.
> >
> > Is it really necessary?
>
> Why would you *not* want to run it as root?
> What do you hope to accomplish by that?
>
> Everything that sbopkg does, for the most part, requires root
> privileges.  Therefore, you can either run it as root, or the
> developers can add a lot of potentially complex and otherwise
> unnecessary code to it enabling it to run with normal user
> privileges.  The sky is not falling.
>
> -RW

Right, question of your assumptions, style of engineering... Usualy I
build my packages as unprivileged user because it is possible and safe.
IMHO rising of permissions for is not necessary. Only some commands like
"chown root:root $PKG" need root privileges to avoid random (user)
permissions in the package and this is good moment to use "sudo".
But why rsync?
I was surprised of the new feature in the new version. That's it.

-Cheers, -X.