[sbopkg-users] Installed packages and queue files

Pierre Cazenave pwcazenave at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 17:08:01 UTC 2009

Mauro Giachero wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Pierre Cazenave <pwcazenave at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Mauro Giachero wrote:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> The issue here is that you may want to build a package you have already
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> Actually, we have a half-working patch that, in the queue view, instead of
>>> "Found" shows whether a package with the same name is installed, and if so
>>> which version is installed. You still have to deselect things manually,
>>> but
>>> at least you have a handy reference.
>>>
>>> Do you think this would be enough to address the issue?
>>>
>> At the moment, the way I use queue files with sbopkg is as follows:
>>
>> sbopkg -i somequeue.sqf
>>
>> Therefore, there's little interaction between me and sbopkg other than the
>> occasional "y" or "q" etc. I think that were I to use it from the
>> dialog-based menu system, having the option to remove packages from a queue
>> file that were already installed on my system would help.
>>
>> There's a certain amount of overlap between different programs which all
>> fill a similar niche, so rebuilding those overlapping dependencies was
>> increasing my build times needlessly. Having to manually remove them from
>> the queue files was difficult (or at least slow), so some option somewhere
>> to disable building those particular dependencies would be nice.
>>

>> Pierre
>>

> Point taken. I'll think about this.
> Thank you.

I realise that this is likely to increase the time taken to process
queue files which is why in some ways having this as a command-line only
option might be easier. That way, the default behaviour within the
dialog-based interface remains unchanged, but the possibility exists to
omit those files when called as sbopkg -i.

I'll see if I can hack a patch together to incorporate this
functionality, though it's likely to take me a while to get my head
around the code as it stands.

Please don't think I'm criticising sbopkg - I use it almost every day
and it's made my life significantly easier!

Thanks to you all,

Pierre

P.S. Has any consideration been given to "outsourcing" some of the
slower tasks (like checking for updates) to separate python scripts,
then calling those as functions from sbopkg? I imagine that python would
do the string comparison very quickly indeed...