[sbopkg-users] Installed packages and queue files

Pierre Cazenave pwcazenave at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 16:55:47 UTC 2009

Mauro Giachero wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Pierre Cazenave <pwcazenave at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Chess Griffin wrote:

>>> This has come up before.  The only difficulty is that this option
>>> really could not do a simple check of whether the package in the queue
>>> is installed.  To do it right, it would essentially first have to
>>> determine whether a package in the queue is installed and then also
>>> determine whether there is an update to that package.  If the package
>>> passed both checks -- meaning the package is installed and there is no
>>> update -- then conceivably it could be skipped (or the user given the
>>> option to skip).  Overall, this would probably slow down the queue
>>> processing at the outset.  This is not an insurmountable problem, but
>>> still it is something to consider.
>>>
>>> I agree that it would be helpful, though.
>>>

>> Perhaps having the default as it is at the moment, so that there's no
>> increase in time for the standard behaviour, but having a flag like
>> --check-installed could then trigger the slower checks for installed
>> packages? This way a casual-ish user would have the current experience, but
>> if you wanted to avoid the possibility of having to rebuild packages you've
>> already installed, it'd be available as an option.
>>
>> Of course, you can just comment out the installed packages from the queue
>> file, but I don't always remember everything that's installed on my system!
>>
>> I also don't think it'd necessarily have to check for updates to the
>> currently installed packages, as that's more a job for the dedicated update
>> option in sbopkg.
>

> The issue here is that you may want to build a package you have already
> installed.
>
> Actually, we have a half-working patch that, in the queue view, instead of
> "Found" shows whether a package with the same name is installed, and if so
> which version is installed. You still have to deselect things manually, but
> at least you have a handy reference.
>
> Do you think this would be enough to address the issue?

At the moment, the way I use queue files with sbopkg is as follows:

sbopkg -i somequeue.sqf

Therefore, there's little interaction between me and sbopkg other than
the occasional "y" or "q" etc. I think that were I to use it from the
dialog-based menu system, having the option to remove packages from a
queue file that were already installed on my system would help.

There's a certain amount of overlap between different programs which all
fill a similar niche, so rebuilding those overlapping dependencies was
increasing my build times needlessly. Having to manually remove them
from the queue files was difficult (or at least slow), so some option
somewhere to disable building those particular dependencies would be nice.

Pierre