[sbopkg-users] Feature proposal

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Fri Apr 17 22:44:31 UTC 2009

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:10:01 +0200
Mauro Giachero <mauro.giachero at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM, alkos333 <me at alkos333.net> wrote:
>

> > Isn't Robby talking about merging several text files really?
> >

> I read Robby's proposal as a "let's support queues referring to other
> queues instead of packages". This someway involves having a text file
> containing queue names, hence the management problems.
>
> If the idea is simply to be able to merge several queues (i.e. create
> per-package queues, and use them to create a single queue containing
> their union), then this is already possible: just load all the queues
> in sbopkg and save the result.
>
> Or you had something different in mind?

Well, I haven't written *any* code for sbopkg, and I don't expect to
have time to do so in the future, so I should probably be ignored.
That being said...

You've got the gist of my idea, Mauro.  It would involve abstracting
the concept of a queue, in such a way that a "multimedia" queue might
contain the following:
  mplayer x264 ffmpeg blahblah {and all their deps}
A "network" queue might contain these:
  xtables-addons pidgin-otr libotr blahblahblah and deps
A "games" queue might look like this:
  monkey-bubble frozenbubble tuxracer supertux blahblah and deps

Long story short, you could then have a set of custom queuefiles that
might look something like this:
  kidsbox: multimedia graphics games
  devbox: network devel libs virtualization
  all: multimedia graphics games network devel libs virtualization

I harbor no illusions that implementing such a thing would be either
simple or necessarily desirable.  Unlike some, I *do* realize that some
features would cause a project to stray from its primary goals if they
were implemented...  :-)

-RW