[sbopkg-users] Feature proposal

slakmagik jsunx1 at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 16 21:47:59 UTC 2009

On 2009-04-16 (Thu) 14:35:35 [-0500], alkos333 wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Chess Griffin <chess at chessgriffin.com> wrote:
> > * alkos333 <me at alkos333.net> [2009-04-16 05:52:43]:
> >
> That would certainly be nice.  What if I provide a successful,
> implementation of my idea, would you take a closer look at it?

Although I've liked several of your suggestions before and appreciate
them all, I'm personally against this idea in principle, aside from
implementation. IMO, sbopkg provides the principle of the queue, the
ability to edit your queues, and the ability to handle lists of queues.
Anything else along these lines really is dependency handling (even if
"soft") and is up to the user. In this regard, sbopkg is just another
tool and you can lash it together with other tools to make the
special-purpose tool you want or write a separate tool alongside it. But
it, itself, shouldn't go this far into parsing unstructured text for
dependency information in order to (non-robustly and, by design,
sometimes incompletely) auto-order queues. But that's just me.

> You guys mind if it's in python or would you rather have everything
> written in bash?

I'd very much rather have everything in bash. If this is in python the
next guy should be able to add stuff in ruby and the next in foo and the
Also, while we assume a standard Slackware install and figure you have
the basic shell, coreutils, dialog and a few other things (and this
would include python), I don't want people to be forced to dispense with
sbopkg (or parts of it) if they want to uninstall stuff like python or
ruby or whatever. Again, just my opinion.