[sbopkg-users] Feature proposal

alkos333 me at alkos333.net
Thu Apr 16 10:52:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 4:10 AM, Mauro Giachero
<mauro.giachero at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:54 PM, alkos333 <me at alkos333.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have a queue named "all" which contains all of my currently
>> installed packages in appropriate order (as far as dependencies are
>> concerned).  It took me quite a while to construct the the queue and
>> then do several runs to sort out dependencies.
>>
>> What about creating a feature that would first queue all of the
>> currently installed packages into the queue.  Second, it would scan
>> their README files and look for name hits and move the packages with
>> those names before the package whose README is being scanned.
>> Basically, I'm in no way trying to automate the dependency check
>> because there were still be conflicts, but at the very least, this
>> will get the overall queue as close to the functioning state as
>> possible and the admin can then finish the rest.
>>
>> This was just an idea that hit me as I was creating a back-up queue
>> for recompiling all of the SBo package after an update let's say.
>
> Unfortunately, this is not as simple as it looks. It's very easy to have
> circular "dependencies" ("X needs Y" / "[Y] is a dependency of X"), as well
> as broken dependencies ("You cannot install X and Y together").
>
> Anyway, why a single queue? I think storing one queue per (relevant) package
> would be far more flexible, given that sbopkg makes loading and merging
> multiple queue files really easy. And of course, somebody could also build
> up a queue archive.
>
> --
> Mauro Giachero

I know it' snot as easy as it looks, but it's doable.  One file
because I don't have to worry about merging them and running several
files.  I can just load one and tell it to run through the entire
thing.  Works like a charm here :)

--

Samuel Goldwyn  - &quot;A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as
bad.&quot; - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html