[sbopkg-discuss] Re: Quick question and a two feature requests...

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Sun Sep 21 16:35:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Drew <jxa127 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Chess,
>
> I really like sbopkg! As I mentioned at LQ, I'm reviewing it for
> Linux.com, and I've got a question and a feature request.

Great, I am glad that sbopkg is working well for you!

> The question:
> I tried to build Open Office but ran into a problem. Apparently the
> download did not go well, so naturally the MD5 sum failed. No problem,
> I tried to download it again, but the MD5 sum failed again, even
> through the download seemed to work fine the second time. This was
> with version 0.10.0. I haven't tried it with 0.11.2 and probably won't
> before the article is due.
>
> In any event, when I downloaded the Slackbuild package and source
> manually and built the package "the old fashioned way," everything
> worked fine. Could the MD5 information have been corrupted? Can you
> think of other reasons why sbopkg had trouble with that particular
> package? I have not had any trouble with anything else that I've
> built.

Hmm... I just tried building and installing openoffice.org with
version 0.11.2 of sbopkg and it worked fine.  I also seem to remember
doing this previously with version 0.0.9.   So, I'm not sure why your
build is not working, but it's working here and I have not received
any other bug reports about it.  If your local repo doesn't have a lot
of local modifications, maybe you can remove it and create a new,
clean copy from within sbopkg?

> Feature requests:
> 1) It would be nice if more of the work in sbopkg could be done as a
> regular user with a prompt for the root password when running the
> actual Slackbuild script and the installation. It would also be nice
> if the resulting Slackware package had the permissions set for the
> user account sbopkg is running from (if it's not the root account). I
> manage my source files and Slackware packages as a regular user and
> just do the builds and installation as root. It's not essential, but
> it would be nice if I could do the same thing with sbopkg.

Well, you can certainly set up sbopkg to create and maintain the local
repo in a user's home directory which would then let this user run
sbopkg for rsyncing etc.  All you would need to do is change the
various directories etc. in sbopkg.conf.  This is documented in the
sbopkg.conf(5) man page.

But, as far as running sbopkg as a regular user and then changing to
the root user in order to build and install, that might be more
difficult.  As mentioned in FAQ #11 on the slackbuilds.org site, the
scripts really need to be run as root in order for the owership and
permissions to be set correctly.  And I'm not sure there is an easy
way of changing to the root user within sbopkg short of using sudo,
which I don't really want to require.  Maybe I can add in a feature
where sudo could be optionally set in sbopkg.conf.

In any event, I'll definitely mull this over and see if there is a way
it can be done.

> 2) Could sbopkg be set up so that the feature for editing slackbuilds
> uses the text editor of the user's choice? Not that there's anything
> wrong with vi, but some folks may want to use Nano, or (gasp!)
> Emacs. :-)

Yes, this can already be done by setting $EDITOR to whatever text
editor you want to use.  This environmental variable could be set in
.bashrc, for example.  This is documented in the sbopkg(8) man page.

> Thanks,
>
> -Drew

Thanks for the email and I look forward to your review!

Chess
--
Chess Griffin
GPG Public Key: 0x0C7558C3