[sbopkg-discuss] Re: SBo updates

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Tue Oct 21 20:08:28 UTC 2008

João Felipe Santos wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Chess Griffin <chess.griffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, samac.  Just to clarify:  you had flash 9.0_r124 installed and
>> the updates menu did not list flash 10.0_r12 as a potential update?
>>
>> Chess Griffin
>
> Hello Chess,
>
> I had this trouble with flash too, it was not displayed as a potential
> update by sbopkg.
>
> João

Okay, thanks for the reports.  I had some other reports via email and
the majority of these issues hinge on what I call the 'decimal' problem
in Bash, where, for example, 3.9 is 'greater than' 3.11 -- or where a
Flash version that starts with 9 is 'greater than' a Flash version that
starts with 1 -- since Bash compares the ascii values of strings and
doesn't really understand decimals.  I've spent many hours over the last
several days testing out many different fixes, including using bc, but
in the end, opted to use the brute force way:  shove a zero in front of
single decimals, so 3.9 becomes 03.09 which will now test as less than
03.11.  Or, in the case of Orbit2, another problem child, 02.14.05 is
now less than 02.14.16.  :-)

Anyway, I just committed some code to svn which (hopefully) addresses
this issue.  If anyone wants to pull from svn and test, I would greatly
appreciate it.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Key:  0x0C7558C3