[sbopkg-users] Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

Didier Spaier didier.spaier at epsm.fr
Wed Apr 17 14:15:22 UTC 2013

On 17/04/2013 06:29, Bradley D. Thornton wrote:

> On 04/16/2013 01:57 PM, Didier Spaier wrote:
>

>> SPAM?
>>

> Hey Didier,
>
> Hey I'm taking a quick survey. I always write it out as SPAM, or
> SPAMming, or SPAMmers. In fact I insist on always making sure I do to
> emphasize it.
>
> I get a lot of heat for doing that, including people yelling at and
> flaming me and posting links regarding Hormel's Trademarks and requests
> that I not capitalize SPAM unless I'm referring to the canned mixture of
> lard and salt.
>
> Even on LQ I get harassed for it.
>
> So... I'm interested in knowing why you spell SPAM in all caps too, if
> you don't mind.
>
> No, I'm not kidding.
>
> Also, if you know of any links to support the reasons behind doing so I
> would like if if you shared them with me (So I can arm myself with them.
>
> BTW, whenever I get flamed for calling SPAM SPAM, or calling those who
> engage in such SPAMming activities as SPAMmers, I don't dignify it with
> a response, which seems to anger people even more - but certainly,
> there's no doubt whatsoever what I'm talking about when I spell it in
> all caps and it's very effective in getting the point across.

Hey Bradley,

That's only an habit, due maybe in part to the fact that the program that
tag these emails (not all of them, alas) before delivering it to me do
capitalize SPAM in the subject line (feature which I use to filter them),
and in part to my angriness when I receive too of them, which makes me
yell.

Also, I think that giving a specific meaning to capitalization is in
part a cultural trait.

I didn't know about Hormel's trademark before you mentioned it.
Hopefully it seems that we have less companies here threatening to sue
you because you infringe their copyright, intellectual property, software
patent (hopefully we are still mostly exempt of the latter in Europe),
in part because we have less lawyers eager to make money with that kind
of case.
But, I digress.

Other than being a trademark, I don't see a reason not to capitalize it,
and didn't find any other listed after a (very short, I admit) search
on the Internet.

So, as I don't care to protect Hormel's trademark I will continue to
capitalize SPAM. If someone complain about that and I am in a mood of
answering, that answer will simply be "why not?".

Cheers,

Didier Spaier
Posted from my sunny countryside in Burgundy (France).