[sbopkg-users] sbopkg.conf

slakmagik slakmagik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 04:33:49 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-01 (Tue) 21:52:54 [-0600], Bill Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Folks,
> I just got around to updating my laptop to sbopkg-0.34.1 & realized that
> every time I upgrade, I have to edit my sbopkg.conf file because I don't
> keep my sources in the suggested location. I made the following change to
> sbopkg.conf, so as not to have to worry about that in future, I hope.
>
> # $Id: sbopkg.conf.new 857 2011-02-05 03:19:19Z slakmagik $
> #
> # Please read the sbopkg.conf(5) man page for information about this
> # configuration file, including an explanation of how to set these
> # variables.
>
> *# Read personallized configuration file if it exists;
> #  - usually called 'sbo.conf'.
> # Changes may be made in the personalized file, not this one.
> CONFFILE=${CONFFILE:-"/etc/sbopkg/sbo.conf"}
> [ -f ${CONFFILE} ] && . ${CONFFILE}
> *
> # The following variables are used by sbopkg and by the SlackBuild
> # scripts themselves.  They must be exported for this reason.
> export TMP=${TMP:-/tmp/SBo}
> export OUTPUT=${OUTPUT:-/tmp}
>
> My sbo.conf is:
>
> SRCDIR=/mnt/spock/sbopkg/src
> QUEUEDIR=/mnt/spock/sbopkg/sbopkg-slackware-queues
>
> Any actual changes to sbopkg.conf would have to be dealt with on upgrade,
> but then one hsould read that file thoroughly after an upgrade anyway.
> Is this worth adding to the conf file?

You've discovered a major documentation bug. We've actually already had
an implementation of a solution to this problem since 0.25.0 but, to my
astonishment, this isn't documented anywhere but the NEWS file.

If you create a ~/.sbopkg.conf file, sbopkg will automatically source it
after the system file, allowing you to override it.

Also, there's an -f flag (that *is* documented) as another way to
specify it if you wanted to use an entirely different configuration.

If we didn't already have the mechanism in place, it would definitely be
worth doing something about. :) Thanks for making me realize the
documentation omission. I'll correct that soon.