[sbopkg-discuss] Re: feature idea

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Fri Jan 2 19:36:51 UTC 2009

* Xavier Maillard <xma at gnu.org> [2009-01-02 14:07:19]:

> Hi samac and sbopkg users,
>
> samac <cotterochan at googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > How about running sbopkg at startup, automatically rsyncing and
> > checking for updates and then, notifying you with a pop up box saying
> > that "sbopkg has found updates available." You would then have to run
> > sbopkg to find the updates and their dependencies.
>
> If made optional, I would find this perfect but it *must* remain
> optional (I, for sure, won't use such thing otherwise).

samac, when you say 'running sbopkg at startup' what do you mean
exactly?  Upon startup of the machine, upon startup of X, upon startup
of sbopkg ... ?

> > Secondly, could sbopkg do the same job as slackpkg and download and
> > upgrade official Slackware packages?
>
> Why not add a menu entry with a choice to run a backgrounded
> slackpkg instance ? Once again, it makes perfectly sense for
> people using slackpkg (which I am not) and it does not bother
> other people (I'd rather want to use slackbuilds).
>
> Thank you very much for your attention.

I understand where you are coming from, samac, but I don't want to
reinvent what slackpkg already does so well.  PiterPunk has been
working on slackpkg for far longer than I have been hacking on sbopkg,
and slackpkg is much more mature and tested.  I use slackpkg myself
and it's an excellent tool that rightly was moved into the mainline
tree from /extra.  Additionally, it seems to me that conceptually the
two scripts really do serve different purposes, although they may do
some things in a similar fashion.  Ultimately, however, I just think
slackpkg does a great job as is.

As far as running slackpkg from within sbopkg ... I don't know.  I'll
have to think about that one, but it seems to add a layer of
complexity on top of slackpkg without really that much benefit.  It's
just as easy to have two terminals open, one running slackpkg and one
running sbopkg, or to run one first and the other second in a single
terminal.

Thanks very much for the feedback and suggestions.  Please do keep the
ideas coming -- I have changed my mind in the past, so it never hurts
to keep reminding me.  :-)

--
Chess Griffin