[sbopkg-users] Installed packages and queue files

Mauro Giachero mauro.giachero at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 16:33:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Pierre Cazenave <pwcazenave at gmail.com>wrote:

> Chess Griffin wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Pierre Cazenave<pwcazenave at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I've noticed that if
>>> use a queue file to build a package and its dependencies, then all the
>>> packages listed in the queue file will be built, irrespective of whether
>>> they're already installed. A useful option would be to have sbopkg skip
>>> building those files that are already installed, thus reducing build
>>> times
>>> considerably. This way, a centrally distributed queue file (like those in
>>> /var/lib/sbopkg/queues) wouldn't build packages already installed on a
>>> user's system.
>>>

>> This has come up before.  The only difficulty is that this option
>> really could not do a simple check of whether the package in the queue
>> is installed.  To do it right, it would essentially first have to
>> determine whether a package in the queue is installed and then also
>> determine whether there is an update to that package.  If the package
>> passed both checks -- meaning the package is installed and there is no
>> update -- then conceivably it could be skipped (or the user given the
>> option to skip).  Overall, this would probably slow down the queue
>> processing at the outset.  This is not an insurmountable problem, but
>> still it is something to consider.
>>
>> I agree that it would be helpful, though.
>>

> Perhaps having the default as it is at the moment, so that there's no
> increase in time for the standard behaviour, but having a flag like
> --check-installed could then trigger the slower checks for installed
> packages? This way a casual-ish user would have the current experience, but
> if you wanted to avoid the possibility of having to rebuild packages you've
> already installed, it'd be available as an option.
>
> Of course, you can just comment out the installed packages from the queue
> file, but I don't always remember everything that's installed on my system!
>
> I also don't think it'd necessarily have to check for updates to the
> currently installed packages, as that's more a job for the dedicated update
> option in sbopkg.

The issue here is that you may want to build a package you have already
installed.

Actually, we have a half-working patch that, in the queue view, instead of
"Found" shows whether a package with the same name is installed, and if so
which version is installed. You still have to deselect things manually, but
at least you have a handy reference.

Do you think this would be enough to address the issue?
--
Mauro Giachero