[sbopkg-discuss] Quick question and a two feature requests...

Drew jxa127 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 21 13:50:50 UTC 2008

Chess,

I really like sbopkg! As I mentioned at LQ, I'm reviewing it for
Linux.com, and I've got a question and a feature request.

The question:
I tried to build Open Office but ran into a problem. Apparently the
download did not go well, so naturally the MD5 sum failed. No problem,
I tried to download it again, but the MD5 sum failed again, even
through the download seemed to work fine the second time. This was
with version 0.10.0. I haven't tried it with 0.11.2 and probably won't
before the article is due.

In any event, when I downloaded the Slackbuild package and source
manually and built the package "the old fashioned way," everything
worked fine. Could the MD5 information have been corrupted? Can you
think of other reasons why sbopkg had trouble with that particular
package? I have not had any trouble with anything else that I've
built.

Feature requests:
1) It would be nice if more of the work in sbopkg could be done as a
regular user with a prompt for the root password when running the
actual Slackbuild script and the installation. It would also be nice
if the resulting Slackware package had the permissions set for the
user account sbopkg is running from (if it's not the root account). I
manage my source files and Slackware packages as a regular user and
just do the builds and installation as root. It's not essential, but
it would be nice if I could do the same thing with sbopkg.

2) Could sbopkg be set up so that the feature for editing slackbuilds
uses the text editor of the user's choice? Not that there's anything
wrong with vi, but some folks may want to use Nano, or (gasp!)
Emacs. :-)

Thanks,

-Drew