[sbopkg-discuss] Re: Quick question and a two feature requests...

Drew jxa127 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 21 19:35:30 UTC 2008

Chess,

Thanks for getting back to me. Here's a little more detail on the
problem I'm having with Open Office. I just tried it again with
version 0.11.2 on another computer:

1) I rsync with Slackbuilds.org and then go to the menu for
OpenOffice.
2) I select "build" and it starts to download the source file.
3) At some point later, I get an error indicating the download went
awry: "

I need to stress that I'm having trouble downloading Open Office
source outside of sbopkg too. It took several tries from Firefox, and
I may actually have had to download it using a torrent. I'm reasonably
certain the problem is with Verizon (or at least my connection).

4) The build fails because the MD5 sum fails -- this is as it should
be because the download did not complete.

5) I try to build it again. And it fails again without trying to
download the source again.

6) Deleting the Open Office directory in the ../sbo folder has no
effect because the incomplete source file is still in /var/cache/
sbopkg directory.

If I delete the source file, then I can retry the process.

So what I'm talking about, I guess, is some form of error checking. If
the source file is incomplete or corrupted, sbopkg fails to build the
package (as it should), but does not offer a way to clear the failed
source file and try again.

I hope this information helps. As a question/suggestion: is it
possible to offer to delete the source file if the MD5 sum fails?

Thanks, also, for pointing me to the section of the man page that
deals with my question on editors. I'm embarrassed that I missed it.

Regards,
-Drew